Tuhon Loki Jörgenson – Chief Instructor
Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali
- Mandala Tuhon (1st hagdan)
- Director for Western Canada
Gadjah Putih pencak silat
- Guru/instructor (Sabuk Merah)
Dog Brothers Martial Arts
- Lakan Guro (apprentice instructor)
- Dog Brother fighter – “Tricky Dog”
Majapahit Martial Arts, Inosanto Academy
- Apprentice instructor (3rd level)
Buddhai Sawan Krabi Krabong
- Sword master – gold sash (grade 6 level 1)
Loki Jörgenson is the founder and chief instructor of maelstrøm Martial Arts. He is the second-highest ranked Pekiti-Tirsia Kali instructor in Canada (after Mandala Tuhon Gelinas), and one of the top ten in North America. Loki received ranking of Mandala Tuhon from Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje through Tuhon Philip Gelinas of Pekiti-Tirsia Canada in October 2011.
Loki also holds instructor ranking in pencak silat Gadjah Putih, Dog Brothers Martial Arts, krabi krabong Buddhai Sawan, and Majapahit Martial Arts.
Loki Jörgenson began his martial training in Shorinjiryu Kenyukai karatedo in 1983 under sensei Ken Fuller. Achieving shodan rank, Loki went on to train in a variety of other arts including non-classical Wing Chun and Eight Animal Ba Gua (sifu Eric Tuttle) before encountering the Filipino martial arts in 1988 in Montreal.
Loki then began training in Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali with Mandala Tuhon Philip Gelinas in Montreal, achieving lakan guro in 1992, and has continuously trained in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali ever since. He has trained in the Philippines and at seminars in N.America with the grandmaster of Pekiti-Tirsia Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje, jr. and as well with Tuhon William McGrath, Tuhon Tim Waid, Tuhon Leslie Buck, and Magino’o Guro Dan Inosanto.
In addition, Loki has trained and attained instructor ranking in pencak silat Gadjah Putih (under maha guru Roedy Wiranatakusumah), pencak silat Mande Muda (under guru Philip Gelinas, guru Dan Inosanto, guru Leslie Buck), Lacoste/Inosanto kali (under guro Dan Inosanto, guro Philip Gelinas), Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do (under sifu Philip Gelinas, sifu Dan Inosanto), krabi krabong Buddhai Sawan (under Ajahn Stephen Wilson) and Dog Brothers Martial Arts (under Philip “Sled Dog” Gelinas, Marc “Crafty Dog” Denny). He has fought numerous times at the Dog Brothers’ Gathering of the Pack in Los Angeles and in Canada, and achieved Dog Brothers fighter status, taking the name “Tricky Dog”.
For Loki, the Southeast Asian martial arts necessarily include music, dance, and performance. They are an integral part of the fight. As Confuscius once said:
Give no man a sword who cannot dance
History and Milestones
- [1984-1987] Shodan (1987) in Shorinjiryu Kenkokan karatedo
- [1988-present] Mandala Tuhon (2011) in Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali
- [1988-present] Dog Brother/fighter (1998) “Tricky Dog”
- [1998-present] Dog Brothers Martial Arts instructor – Lakan Guro 3rd Level
- [1996-present] Instructor (2000) – pencak silat Gadjah Putih Jati Wisesa
- [1996-present] Apprentice Instructor (2000) of Inosanto Academy (Majapahit program)
- [1994-2001] Mano y Baston Martial Arts school
- [2001-present] maelstrom Martial Arts school
- [2002-present] Instructor (2006) Buddhai Sawan Krabi Krabong
- [2010-present] President, founder – Monsoon Society for the Cultural Arts of Southeast Asia