maelstrøm Indoors – at Academie Duello in Vancouver, BC
8:00-9:30pm Filipino Kali – Pekiti-Tirsia System Guros Claire, Mario, others
8:00-9:30pm Filipino Kali – Pekiti-Tirsia System Guro Claire, Mario, others
10-11:30am Indonesian pencak silat – Gadjah Putih Guru Zack
11:30am-1:00pm Filipino Kali – Pekiti-Tirsia System Guro Zack
1pm-2:30pm Fight Lab (contact weapon sparring) Guro Mario, others
maelstrøm Online – on Zoom
6:00-7:00pm Pencak Silat Sunda Guru Loki
9:00-10:00am Thai Weapons – Krabi Krabong Buddhai Sawan Khru Loki
maelstrøm Outdoors – in Victoria, BC
5:00-7:00pm Stick Fighting – Dog Brothers, PTK Tricky Dog
** Training is outdoors. Location is in Sooke, BC – ask for details.
maelstrøm in Nanaimo, BC
Coming…. Khru Gary
maelstrøm in Calgary, AB
Coming…. Guro Stavros
Atlantic maelstrøm in Chester, NS
Training in the SE Asian weapon arts on the East Coast Guro Dave
- 8 week mini-courses (scheduled or by request for private groups):
- The Bourne Legacy: Fight Like Jason Bourne
- Empty-hand for Women: Fight Like Salt
- The Raid Legacy: Pencak Silat for Film
- Non-lethal Self Defense: Pocket Stick
- Exotic Weapons of Southeast Asia – karambit, golok, kujang, sarong
- Filipino Butterfly Knife Technique (using trainers)
- Hari Mau: Indonesian Ground Fighting
- Learning and Performing Fire Sword
- 64 Attacks Form of Pekiti-Tirsia Kali
- Espada y Daga: Fighting Long and Short Blade
- Healing and Conditioning from Southeast Asia
- Martial Drumming and Music
- Intro to Thai Swords: Krabi Krabong
- Visayan Sikaran: Filipino Kicking
- Weapons Grappling: BJJ with a Blade (or Stick)
* These 4 and 8-week special programs are offered irregularly featuring unique training opportunities. Please check the home page for current and upcoming micro- and mini-courses.
Also available for private groups upon request.
** All classes are open and accessible to beginners
** Each 3-month term identifies specific material within the very broad and deep knowledge base of Pekiti-Tirsia kali that is repeated throughout the term to ensure students develop linearly and with particular skills and attributes.
Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali
- Basics (alphabet) – footwork, striking patterns, 64-form, and other basics for single stick for beginning as well as all levels of student. Does not change from week-to-week.
- Fundamentals (words) – Essential training in a variety of weapons for beginners and all other students – follows the curriculum for the current term.
- Applications (sentences) – Combining fundamental materials in flows and combinations; transitions and bridging; ranging and control. Builds on material from Fundamentals.
- Blade (critique) – Focus on advanced use of single and double knife.
- Advanced (prose) – Advanced training for senior students and instructors including theory and technique
- Sparring (public debate) – Applying the learned materials in a live context; using equipment and careful training methods to approach full-contact fighting
Filipino Panantukan, Pangamut, Jeet Kune Do, and Dumog
- Empty-hand fighting without weapons – dirty street fighting
- Defense against weapons – street survival
Weapons grappling (slam)
- Close range body control and takedowns – in the presence of weapons.
Mixed Style – Equipment Training
Gear-based sparring and technique application including:
- Filipino kali
- Thai Krabi-Krabong
- Indonesian pencak silat
- Weapons grappling
- Team fight skills
Thai Krabi Krabong
Buddhai Sawan school and Col. Natapong military style
- Double sword (daab song meu)
- Single sword (daab nung meu, krabi)
- Staff (plong), halberd (ngao) and spear (hork)
- Sword and shield (daab/lo), spear and shield (hork/lo)
- Forearm shields (mae sowks)
Indonesian Pencak Silat
Pencak Silat Gadjah Putih / Silat Sunda
A village system (from Garut, near Bandung, West Java) characterized by a low solid base, conservative hand positions close to the body, powerful elbow strikes, intercepting/grabbing the attacking hands and elbows, joint locks, and counter-lock evasion.
- 25 jurus (attack forms)
- 10 langkah (combat sequences)
- 10 pernafasan (breathing forms)
- Kembanguan (stylized performance)
- Buah (combat execution)
Pencak Silat Mande Muda
A style of pencak silat created by Uyuh Suwanda in 1951 in Bandung, West Java, composed of elements of 17 styles, principally Cikalong, Syahbandar, Harimau, Kari, Madi and Sera until Uyuh met Mimi Rukmini who brought the system of Cimande increasing it to 18 styles. Mande Muda was increased to 25 styles by Pak Hermann Suwanda.
- Harimau (tiger style)
- Fighting with flexible weapons (sarong)
The current regular pencak silat class offers a blend of these two systems, with a focus on Gadjah Putih and Harimau.