Guro/Guru/Khru Loki Jörgenson – Chief Instructor
Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali
- Guro/instructor (1992), Mandala Tuhon (2011) – active
- Training continuously in PTK since 1988
- Under Tuhon Philip Gelinas and Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje, jr.
Gadjah Putih pencak silat
- Guru/instructor (Sabuk Merah) (1998) – active
- Under Maha Guru Roedy Wiranatakusumah, Maha Guru Besar Bapak A. Wajihaddin
Dog Brothers Martial Arts
- Lakan Guro/apprentice instructor (2002) – active
- Dog Brothers fighter – “Tricky Dog” (2001) – retired
- Member of clan Tricky Bastards
Majapahit Martial Arts, Inosanto Academy
- Lakan guro/apprentice instructor (3rd level – 2005) – lapsed
Buddhai Sawan Krabi Krabong
- Khru/instructor – sword master/gold sash (grade 6 level 1 – 2006) – active
Loki Jörgenson is the founder and chief instructor of maelstrøm Martial Arts. He is one of six tuhons (designated leaders) of Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali in Canada, training continuously since 1988. Loki has received his designation Tuhon directly from Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje. He is a founder and active member, with a seat on the Tuhon Council, of Pekiti-Tirsia Kali Canada.
Loki also holds instructor ranking in pencak silat Gadjah Putih, granted by the last grandmaster Besar Bapak A. Wajihaddin of Garut, West Java, and is active with the Silat Sunda Institute, led by Maha Guru Roedy Wiranatakusumah since 1995.
Loki has trained and fought Dog Brothers Martial Arts and the Dog Brothers method of full contact fighting since the mid-1990s. He gained his full dog fighter status in 2001. He has achieved gold sash (master swordsman) status in the Thai weapons of krabi krabong Buddhai Sawan, and been an instructor under Guro Dan Inosanto/IIAMA in Jun Fan Gung Fu and the Majapahit Martial Arts.
Loki Jörgenson began his martial training in Shorinjiryu Kenyukai karatedo in 1983 under sensei Ken Fuller. Achieving shodan rank, Loki went on to train in a variety of other arts including non-classical Wing Chun and Eight Animal Ba Gua (sifu Eric Tuttle) before encountering the Filipino martial arts in 1988 in Montreal.
Loki then began training in Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali with Mandala Tuhon Philip Gelinas in Montreal, achieving lakan guro in 1992, and has continuously trained in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali ever since. He has trained in the Philippines and at seminars in N.America with the grandmaster of Pekiti-Tirsia Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje, jr. and as well with Tuhon William McGrath, Tuhon Tim Waid, Tuhon Leslie Buck, and Magino’o Guro Dan Inosanto.
In addition, Loki has trained and attained instructor ranking in pencak silat Gadjah Putih (under maha guru Roedy Wiranatakusumah), pencak silat Mande Muda (under guru Philip Gelinas, guru Dan Inosanto, guru Leslie Buck), Lacoste/Inosanto kali (under guro Dan Inosanto, guro Philip Gelinas), Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do (under sifu Philip Gelinas, sifu Dan Inosanto), krabi krabong Buddhai Sawan (under Ajahn Stephen Wilson) and Dog Brothers Martial Arts (under Philip “Sled Dog” Gelinas, Marc “Crafty Dog” Denny). He has fought numerous times at the Dog Brothers’ Gathering of the Pack in Los Angeles and in Canada, and achieved Dog Brothers fighter status, taking the name “Tricky Dog”.
For Loki, the Southeast Asian martial arts necessarily include music, dance, and performance. They are an integral part of the fight. As Confuscius once said:
Give no man a sword who cannot dance
Loki has taken part in traditional martial dance performance with Kathara Cultural Theatre, and dances fire sword, staff, fans, and shield with the now-disbanded Vancouver-based fire troupe Radiant Heat.
History and Milestones
- [1984-1987] Shodan (1987) in Shorinjiryu Kenkokan karatedo
- [1988-present] Mandala Tuhon 3rd hagdan (2011) in Pekiti-Tirsia System of Kali
- [1988-present] Dog Brother/fighter (1998) “Tricky Dog”
- [1998-present] Dog Brothers Martial Arts instructor – Lakan Guro 3rd Level
- [1996-present] Instructor (2000) – pencak silat Gadjah Putih Jati Wisesa
- [1996-present] Apprentice Instructor (2000) of Inosanto Academy (Majapahit program)
- [1994-2001] Mano y Baston Martial Arts academy
- [2001-present] maelstrom Martial Arts academy
- [2002-present] Instructor (2006) Buddhai Sawan Krabi Krabong
- [2010-present] President, co-founder – Monsoon Society for the Cultural Arts of Southeast Asia
- [2018-present] Co-founder, member – Pekiti-Tirsia Canada
- [2019-present] President, co-founder – Buddhai Sawan Association of North America
- [2020-present] Co-founder, member – Dog Brothers Canada